The faculty of Postgraduate education was founded in 1994. Today, the faculty is known as the faculty of professional retraining and specialization. KSMU conducts postgraduate and supplementary education of medical, pharmaceutical, and social work of the following types:
- Clinical internship program in 28 specialities — annual admission of 450-470 people.
- Clinical residency program in 40 specialities — annual admission of 150-170 people.
- PhD-studentship in 35 specialities — annual admission of 40-50 people.
- Professional retraining, further advanced training or clerkship — annual admission of more than 3000 people.
- Thematic and general advanced courses of doctors and pharmacists with work experience (260-320 students per year)
- Advancing the qualification of college teachers (90-100 per year)
- Providing methodical help, organization of qualified examinations for interns from the medical institutions in Tatarstan and Mary El (annual number of alumnus 380-580). Primary specialization of doctors and pharmacists on 35 specializations. The program is based on the fundamental disciplines (clinical, pathological physiology, pathologic anatomy, clinical pharmacology and biochemistry, medical psychology). The training for the major specialization includes work in class as well as independent work with patients under the supervision of doctors and professors.
Students and graduates of the University may apply for supplementary educational programs such as «Interpreter in the field of professional communication», «Medical Psychology», master the necessary skills in the field of plastic and reconstructive surgery, health maintenance of fitness, therapeutic massage, cosmetology, etc. Upon completion of the postgraduate or supplementary educational programs the graduates receive an official State document.
The advanced training of doctors is based on the four courses: doctors of general practice (family medicine), pediatric surgery, pharmacy, medical ecology and sanitary-epidemiological control. The training is performed in cycles of thematic advanced education, general training and specialization which lasts from one week to three months.
The advanced training of the teachers of medical colleges of Russia has been performed during 30 years. The university is the base for the activities of the Coordination Council of the joint work with the medical, pharmaceutical colleges of Tatarstan and Mary El republic.